Making progress and giving back, every day
Our teams around the world play a key role in our everyday sustainability efforts, reducing paper use, cutting waste, creating more energy-efficient working environments. But they also give back to the communities they are embedded in.
Here are just a few examples of recent initiatives, schemes and donations supported by our people.
- In May 2021, our team in Changzhou, China, took part in the 'Walk for Milk' organised by the Changzhou Charity Association, raising money to support a range of local welfare initiatives for children.
- Our ItalPresseGauss team in Brescia, Italy, launched its 'Compatti si vince' initiative in 2021, a project that brings together local basketball and rugby teams, as well as local government and business to help families in need and the wider community.
- Every year, the DISA India team provides financial assistance to less privileged students under the NORICAN scholarship programme. In 2021, it supported 410 students in eight educational institutions near our plants in Tumkur and Hosakote. The team also invested in infrastructure for local schools, providing drinking water, teaching aids and school sanitation.
- In 2021, the Wheelabrator Spain team donated old computers, screens and keyboards to non-governmental aid organisation NASCO , whose 'Feed the Mind' project supports digital literacy in Africa, by supplying computers to classrooms.
- Following the initial pandemic lockdowns, our UK teams extended home office working to significantly reduce commuting by car, a major contributor to the transport-related carbon footprint in the Greater Manchester, Birmingham and Greater London areas. It also improves our people's work/life balance and wellbeing.
- Our IT team in Taastrup, Denmark, has started a project to make our IT provision more sustainable, including closely monitoring the temperature in our server rooms and raising them to save energy for cooling, wherever the specifications for our server equipment allow it. The team is also reviewing equipment and server use to optimize for energy performance.
- In December 2021, our Americas HQ in Georgia, US, sponsored a 'hole' at a charity golf event near our US facility in Georgia, raising money for The Lady Bamford Center. The centre provides education and social skills development to children up to five years of age and offers priority admission to children from homeless and low-income families, as well as children with physical, mental or emotional challenges.